Canada’s Open Work Permit – How To Apply

Canada’s Open Work Permit

Canada’s Open Work Permit –  Because an open work permit allows foreigners to work in Canada without necessarily obtaining a job offer first. And as a temporary resident in Canada, it does not tie you to a specific job.

This type of work permit does not tie you to any specific employer or location in Canada. You can work for multiple employers in a different locations within Canada at any time.

Some of the immigration programs through which open work permit is issued include:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)
  • International Experience Canada (IEC)
  • Inland Spousal or Common-Law Sponsorship
  • Bridging Open Work Permits (BOWP)

Who is Eligible For an Open Work Permit?

  • A permanent resident in Canada.
  • A dependent child or family member of a permanent resident.
  • Some Temporary residents
  • Those who have a working holiday visa or other special programs. And
  • Refugees or refugee claimants whose cases are still pending or protected persons and their family members.

Benefits Of Open Work Permit

Obtaining an Open Work Permit gives the holder a level of freedom to work anywhere and from any location. Other permit ties an individual to a specific job and to a specific employer.

Obtaining an open work permit gives you an opportunity to take up several jobs thereby improving your Canadian work experience. So, a Canadian work experience especially with different expertise gives you an edge when applying for a Canadian permanent residency.

Types Of Open Work Permits

There are mainly two types of open work permits:


The unrestricted work permit allows foreigners to take any kind of job in any location or place


This type restricts individuals from certain jobs or locations due to health, or locational restrictions due to the type of visa or application they entered with.

Who Can Get an Open Work Permit?

There are a number of situations you may find yourself in that will qualify you for an open work permit. This includes:

  • Permanent residence applicants who have already applied to an office in Canada
  • Dependent family members of said permanent residence applicants
  • Spouses/common-law partners of certain workers or international students
  • Those refugees whose cases have not yet been heard or decided upon, protected persons, and their relatives
  • Some temporary residents
  • Some youth workers who participated in special programs, such as working holiday

Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. However, if not, leave a comment in the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

However, All rights reserved, no part of this publication and other digital contents on this website may be reproduced, stored in a retrieved system, or transmitted in any form, by means of photocopy or otherwise without the consent of

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *